We have many idiomatic expressions using colours. Here are some common ones.
- He’s a very good gardener. He really has green thumbs !
- Manual workers who work in a factory are sometimes called blue collar workers.
- If you spend more money than you have on your bank account, you will be in the red.
- If you receive a surpise call from a long lost contact, you can say that they called you out of the blue.
- When you get the agreement to do something, you can say that you have the green
- He is new to the job and doesn’t have a lot of experience. He is a bit green.
- When it’s difficult to say where responsibility lies, or if the answer is not clear because there are 2 opposing views, we can say that it’s a bit of a grey
- You don’t look well ! You look as white as a ghost.
- He said to Tom that he would tell his wife everything if Tome didn’t pay him 10 000€. It was a typical case of blackmail.
- We’re going to celebrate your promotion and go out for a drink. We’re going to paint the town red !
Please like & share: